Watercolours - Under

We have a new Honour Roll candidate. Whilst probably not the singer that we find in Ruby Frost, (ok, it's silly to compare), Chelsea Jade Metcalf has an all-round offering that doesn't come along often. In the case of this video, and her subsequent yet-to-be released song, and winner of "The Audience" wildcard video funding, "Nightswimmer" (sound file to be linked another day), the offering is world-class. I saw her when she was playing with James Duncan as support to The Phoenix Foundation back in 2010, and it was immediately clear here was someone who had the ability to project, and dare-I-say-it, "star-quality". She is clearly an artist, and an aesthete, and this comes through both aurally and visually across her work. I have enjoyed her previous work, but it is in the Watercolours guise that I hear something stunning - much akin to my personal discovery of  the UK's James Blake. I just hope she gets traction internationally. She also needs to want it. That I am not sure of as I don't know her personally, but in terms of her abilities, she has everything required to build into a significant international success. The video for "Under" was directed by Reuben Stephens of Artisan Guns (another visual-arts career I am going to watch with interest). The video for "Under" is up there with my all-time favourites, hence it replaces SJD's "Superman You're Crying". (Sorry, but the Honour Roll is brutally Darwinian). I will definitely be purchasing "Under", and "Nightswimmer" when it is available to purchase. Watch for the "Nightswimmer" video in months to come.



Watercolours - Under

No comments:

Post a Comment