Junica - And It Hurts

The last post was about a very good songwriter (Annah Mac) so we will carry on that theme. Mark my words, Nik Brinkman will be a wealthy man one day. A superb writer of (often elegant) pop songs, as well as an artist and aesthete, "And It Hurts" is a very good example of why Mr Brinkman, who presents himself as "Junica", has such a promising future (ok, from my very limited perspective). A beautifully constructed pop song, well produced and locked into the current zeitgeist, it is probably an offshore label's dream, and from what I have read, he has already locked in a publishing deal with EMI and has several labels courting him. Imagine "And It Hurts" broken down into an acoustic arrangement. It would still work. I believe he will sell many songs to other artists and from what I have heard so far, at least a few will hit. But for me, the key indicator of why he will be successful is that he clearly looks outward, embraces a more global aesthetic, and is prepared to take a few risks, spending the time offshore building a base from the ground up. I understand from online interview material that he was planning to spend many months on the road, offshore. With that work ethic, I look forward to seeing what the future holds. And of course, this video at time of writing only has 9,321 views. Unappreciated at home as per the usual.



Junica - And It Hurts

No comments:

Post a Comment