Cavell - I Need You

When I put together the idea for this blog it was to reward creative originality that had international potential, by recommending it to an audience that I hope will eventually evolve into a high-value group for NZ musicians - essentially offshore capital. So every file I embed has to have that special "je ne sais quoi". The problem I have with some of the material I listen to is that it is too derivative, or too restricted across a range of criteria (melody, dynamics etc) i.e. "samey". I often have this problem with the archetypal NZ rock band, and more recently some of the fusion type acts. It is also sometimes a problem with NZ R&B and Hip Hop. But there are pockets of excellence, and Cavell is promising to be one. I first came across him on the Sir T track "Forgot Me" posted elsewhere in this blog.  I like the way he has stripped back the production here to its bare bones, which often works well in this genre. The video works pretty well also. With a great voice, a drive to quality-control his material (self-produced), and an obvious commercial sensibility Cavell could progress. But as I said in the previous post, anyone looking to really make it needs to continue to look outward and think of the business in global terms, and deliver on each of the criteria they are measured on. I think Cavell could do that. This song sounds good loud by the way.



Cavell - I Need You

No comments:

Post a Comment