Luke Buda - Weekend Dad

Luke Buda, is one half of New Zealand's Lennon & McCartney (oh no...bad I know), that being himself and Sam Flynn-Scott of The Phoenix Foundation (TPF). They have matured into superb songwriters and now execute on a reliable basis, unlike some of the earlier years of the band. I have an intuition that the gorgeous melodies/harmonies of TPF comes more from Luke, whereas the biting lyricism is Sam's stomping ground. But what do I know? (Luke is New Zealand's Abba to Sam's Rolling Stones?...stop it!). Luke Buda's music is hard not to like, and it amazes me that more don't know of it, but I suspect he has a conflict of interest with TPF, which they have clearly decided to keep going for the foreseeable future. That probably precludes him from a commitment to full-on promotion, hence this video has under 3,000 views at time of writing. I have been listening to Luke for years, starting with his first release "Buda - The C Sides" back in 2002, followed up by "Special Surprise" around 2004 (I think), and his last offering from late 2008, "Vesuvius". What keeps me listening, is everything I am looking for on this blog. Melody with unconventional melodic sequences, interesting harmonies, song structures, dynamics. But what sets this all off are the lyrics, which are often clever, with lashings of gentle irony. And they can sometimes be quite poignant, or even sentimental. Its a rich mix. You can buy "Vesuvius" at www.lukebuda.bandcamp.com. "Special Surprise" is available through the more usual commercial channels.



Luke Buda - Weekend Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment