Sesh - All Up To Me

It appears "Derty Sesh" might be attempting a transition into "Sesh". Works for me. He has had a volatile/difficult last few years with the controversy around a graphic horror-themed video he did for "Forever" (off his first album, "Sic Love") undermining what had been some quite strong local momentum. From what I remember of the controversy, there was some basis from which to make it an R18 rating, as a video such as this was just not appropriate for children, and had some nasty themes (which incidentally, I have no time for). But the almost forced take-down of the original clip I think was interesting, as I am sure a white indie musician implementing a hipster-ish ironic take on serial killer/horror movies might well have got a lighter ride. He/she might even have been celebrated? Or ignored? I don't know. I do know "the media" does like to equate rappers with gangsters (some encourage this sadly), but it is my view that this is often used as a lazy way to scare up the paler-skinned middle classes into consuming media, and also to promote other more political objectives. So I have some sympathy with the predicament that this MC found himself in. But he has been fighting back with some tenacity since, releasing both an EP, and his second album "Apology Accepted". He has offshore plans, as seen in this video. And Sesh is clearly talented. I have promoted his material on Twitter previously but after seeing this on Sid Diamond's timeline, I thought it was time to put something up on this blog, especially considering the honesty driving Sesh's writing is of the same level of integrity that we saw in Sid Diamond's "No Sympathy".  If one were to take this rap literally, it seems recent times have not been kind to Sesh. But there is a triumphant despair coursing through "All Up To Me", a track off his upcoming album that is actually one of the reasons I posted this video. It is compelling. Although lacking a little bottom end in the mix, the production drives along well. I like the self-directed video also, well done considering the lack of resources. You can buy Derty Sesh's music at the iTunes links below. There is a link to his Facebook page and a link to another video he released recently for "I'm Done" (production Smokey Beatz) which I will post on this blog at some later date.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/sic-love/id361059291
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/apology-accepted/id500800668
https://www.facebook.com/DertySeshMusic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9rDvarlNYc



Sesh - All Up To Me

No comments:

Post a Comment