Kimbra - Settle Down

This came on the TV when I was in Hong Kong recently. It was interesting watching it from another perspective...and I was reminded of the brilliance Kimbra is capable of. For me, this track (and I include the video) is possibly one of the greatest commercial offerings in recent music history. I don't say that lightly. And I suspect there might be a few others who are similarly enthusiastic. At time of writing the video had 20 million views. To me it's close to magic. I read recently that the US music executive responsible for signing Kimbra had thought maybe her music had needed brightening up (paraphrased) for the global market. I just hope they don't kill it. For me "Settle Down" is perfect balance between commercial viability and artistic integrity. I don't think the more recent offering, "Warrior" (done since the marketing machine launched), works nearly as well, and I can almost sense the head honchos wielding the big levers behind the scenes. Have a look at the "Warrior" video at the link below. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3HT34IrUU



Kimbra - Settle Down

No comments:

Post a Comment