Lydia Cole - Hibernate

I am going to spend the next few days on the road in the US Pacific North-West so I am posting a couple of videos up-front of which this is the last. I suspect I may have been judged against, for my judgement (expressed through the banality of a tweet), but I must call it as I see it. I am only one person and my opinion is essentially of little consequence. But I do hold my opinions with vigour. Most guitar-hugging singer/songwriters are mediocre, possibly because they are not prepared to take risks. The risks don't have to be comprehensive, are not prescriptive, but they must be defining, and the reason I like Lydia Cole's music, despite its flirtation with the occasional predictable motif, is the raw soul-baring authenticity of the material. Sung in a real "New Zilland" accent, and when layered up with incidental arrangements, it is beautiful, and very hard to resist. I can see this material being used on television and movie soundtracks. The faster that Lydia Cole's management get it in front of these people (offshore - not locally), the faster this will be recognised for how good it is. And then it will really sell. The song is from the album "Me and Moon" available at the link below. The video is by Claire Littler. It works well with the material.

http://lydiacole.bandcamp.com/album/me-moon



Lydia Cole - Hibernate

No comments:

Post a Comment