Annah Mac - Girl In Stilettos

The art of the pop song. Some write beautiful music but can't write songs. Annah Mac knows how to write simple, catchy, marketable pop songs (with meaning) that not only she can perform, but a range of other artists. This could be an opportunity for her in the future I imagine. "Girl in Stilettos" is a shoo-in for radio-play and it has been on high-rotate in NZ for some time. But it is not as simple as just writing good songs. I think "Girl in Stilettos" demonstrates the importance of strong production to a good song. I have heard other Annah Mac songs, and although I can recognize the craft behind the writing, the delivery in terms of the overall sound has sometimes been lacking. There are many other New Zealand artists who suffer from a similar issue. "Girl in Stilettos" I understand was remixed by Josh Fountain (Kidz in Space, Get Well Soon), on behalf of Woodcut Studios. Woodcut Studios is well-known as one of the owners of Move the Crowd/Empire Records, and maybe it is the infusion of an electronica/hip-hop perspective that lifts this song to the level of a potential international success. I can imagine it doing well offshore. I really enjoy the video, but I do wonder how it will translate internationally. The Australians will get it I suppose...



Annah Mac - Girl In Stilettos

No comments:

Post a Comment